Friday, December 24, 2010

Modern Day Hadassah


I need to write while it’s still fresh in my mind. The fearlessness, the wholesomeness, the selflessness, the graciousness, the humbleness of a young slave girl. I just got done reading the first two books from the “Mark of the Lion Trilogy” by Francine Rivers.  The characters I have grown to love are real to me because I can see myself and others play their parts today. There was Julia a passionate, wide-eyed girl who started out innocent but quickly became the epitome of selfishness giving into every indulgence that would satisfy her needs and no one else’s. I would cringe inside as I read of her life spinning out of control with immorality. I wanted to scream at her “WAKE UP!” why are you giving away such beauty to things that will leave you empty, broken, and hopeless. But I found myself relating to this girl, it was like looking at myself knowing that I have lived like this girl at one time or another. Then there was Hadassah the young slave girl and a proclaimed Christian, she started out doubting her faith but by the end of the book I was changed by her walk. Last night as I turned that last page I found myself with new hope and a new love for Jesus. I want to be a modern day Hadassah, someone that is not afraid to speak the truth in love to anyone that challenges why I believe. I want to be able to forgive someone that hurts me without worrying about the risk, I want to be able to stand for what God has commanded of me because I’m so in love with Jesus that all I want to do is obey Him. Through this book I saw the roads of obedience and the road of self indulgence come to a close and I want obedience. I’m so thankful that He is our redeemer; he can restore us and make us whiter than snow. He has a good purpose for all those who believe.

I would recommend this trilogy to everyone! I never had a passion for traveling but after reading this book I want to travel to Rome, to Judea, to the Sea of Galilee. Even though this was just a book with characters I just know there were people like Hadassah, Julia, and the rest of the characters that walked before me. They endured the same struggles in a different time period and I find comfort knowing we are one body in Christ.


Psalm 51:7 Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Psalm 51:10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your holy spirit from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment