Sunday, January 2, 2011

In the waiting room

Waiting to meet the right person, waiting for the right moment to call an old friend, waiting to be forgiven, waiting for tomorrow, why do we spend so much time in the waiting room?

We keep waiting for the right moment to make things happen or for God to answer our prayers. It is especially difficult when we step out in faith and obey God yet he remains silent. When we don’t see the result of our obedience it can become harder to believe and remain faithful. Instead of impatiently sitting in the waiting room I want to be actively seeking him each day in the living room. I want to think of today as a gift to know him more and seek His will. Have you ever thought of God as your protector? I have never really put that much emphasis in acknowledging that He is all the protection I need; I have placed that responsibility on people that ultimately are capable of letting me down no matter how much they may love me. Have you ever thought of God as your Redeemer? Only he can take off the old and put on the new. Have you ever thought of God has your friend? He is with us, He is for us. He has plans to proper us.

I get so caught up in the waiting room of life watching the clock, counting down the minutes. In those moments of focusing so much on waiting I miss all that is passing me by. I miss a moment to speak the truth to someone that is lost, I miss the sweet joy of solitude and a chance to pray with thanksgiving, I miss the chance to smile at a stranger, I miss the chance to learn more about my heavenly father. Perhaps we are in the waiting room for so long because he is waiting on us to depend on Him alone. Depend on Him through the silence, depend on him through the noise, depend on Him in the darkness, depend on Him in the light.

When we are walking in obedience there is a reason that sometimes we have to wait “But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31

No comments:

Post a Comment